Sunday 1 January 2012

Let’s make 2012 count!


So it’s New Year’s Day and I’m already regretting some of the resolutions I promised to make when the sun came up on the brand new year. I mean, a little bit of chocolate is good for you, right? And walking to the kitchen to stick the kettle on pretty much constitutes exercise, doesn’t it?

I’m sure we all have things we’d like to change about ourselves, and the start of a new year offers the perfect opportunity to do so.

I’d like to stop committing myself to things I can’t deliver on. I hate disappointing people, so I say yes to whatever I’m asked. But then when the pressure’s on I either end up burning myself out or letting someone down. We all know honesty is the best policy, but I, for one, could be better at it.

But rather than focusing on the things I want to STOP doing, I’ve decided to think about what I really want to get out of this year; to make this a positive rather than a negative period. All my life I’ve wanted to write a novel, and this year I made a great start. But something inside me is afraid of finishing it in case it’s no good.

This year I want to stop fearing failure and start enjoying my writing. I’m no William Shakespeare or JK Rowling, but nothing makes me happier than putting pen to paper and letting my imagination run wild. And I believe it’s a gift God has given me, so the last thing I want to do is squander it.

What is it that you really want to get out of this year? Why not pick three things that you’ve been thinking about doing but haven’t quite got round to yet? Then come up with a realistic plan of action so you can make it happen.

The traditional resolutions – giving up smoking, cutting back on booze, caffeine and calories, going to the gym more – are fine, but don’t limit yourself to them. They’re all well and good if your dream is to get the perfect body, but many of us want more from our lives than that.

Ask God what he his plans are for you this year; he has a definite purpose for you in 2012 and beyond (Jeremiah 29:11). He can also help you achieve it!

If you’re stuck for ideas, these might help get the ball rolling:
  • Learning a new language
  • Playing football rather than just watching it
  • Getting the hang of Twitter
  • Asking your boss for a promotion
  • Spending more time with your kids
  • Throwing out all your old hole-ridden underpants
  • Taking a road trip with a group of friends
  • Volunteering with a local/national/international community group
  • Running a 5K/10K/half-marathon/marathon
  • Getting involved more in your church
  • Saving for a house deposit
  • Recycling more and wasting less
  • Finally completing Angry Birds
  • Telling a friend about Jesus
  • Signing up for a Sorted subscription ;) 
I’m sure you’ll be able to come up with plenty yourself, so be realistic, practise perseverance and don’t let minor setbacks set you back for good.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment